Monday, October 18, 2010

Eric's Audio Repair & a Boss Dual Overdrive Mod

I own a Boss Dual Overdrive pedal.


I like a lot of the grit it has to offer. However, I am huge into mods for any and everything, so I looked up some forum topics in the mod world. There was a guy that had posted what he replaced and what the result would be. It was everything I wanted to fine tune on it, so I got the specifics on the mod from the guy himself. I then looked up a schematic for the stock pedal and sent both to Eric at Eric's Audio Repair right here in Grand Rapids to see if he could do it for me. He emailed me back saying he had everything in stock, so I brought it into him today at 1:45pm. He called at 3:50pm to tell me he already had it done. Wow. I'll be picking it up from him tomorrow and testing it out in the evening. Mainly, this post is about yet another local feature of Grand Rapids that is absolutely killer. If anyone needs electronic repair work done, Eric should be your guy. His fees are very reasonable, he does great work, has a pretty quick turnaround time, and is willing take time to explain a lot of things he has/needs to do. I have a permanent link to his website off to the right by all of the other local goodies. I have brought numerous pedals, a couple of amps, and other stuff to him with awesome results. Okay, advertisement over. Below is the message sent to me from the guy that listed the mod specifically:


Re: Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive Mods

Mods:
C10: stock = .82uF, modded to .22uF (adds more bass to lead side)
D15: stock = LED, modded to 1N34A Germanium (smoother distorted tone on Lead side)

D7: stock = LED, Modded to 1N4001
D6: stock= 1N914, modded to 2 1N4148 in series. (Smoother dirt with less compression)

C12: stock = .022uF to .047uF (switched). Adds bass to crunch side.

I'm definitely a gear dork. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment