Saturday, October 9, 2010

Guitar Gear Nerd Alert!!!

So with the recent addition of a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, my guitar effects board is coming along nicely. My current signal path in order is as follows:

Guitar--->Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner--->Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive--->1998 Russian Big Muff Pi--->Digitech Whammy Reissue--->Ernie Ball Volume/Pan--->Boss DD-3 Digital Delay--->Hardwire RV-7 Reverb--->BBE Sonic Stomp--->Amplifier

Hopefully I will be getting a Blackheart Killer Ant guitar amplifier soon. This little guy isn't even 1 watt! Even better is that the one I will possibly be getting has been modified with a kit from Bitmo Mod Kits. This means that there has been a knob installed that allows adjustment of the amps tone. The stock amplifier has an input, a volume, and a power switch on the front. That's it. With the modification, it now has a tone control, pull boost, and line output as well. This brings me to my next point. With this mod, I will actually be able to route my effects pedals through that and out into my main amplifier, thus using it as a tube preamp. Also, I'll probably swap out the stock 12ax7 in the preamp section of the Killer Ant with a 12au7 to gain a little headroom and boost. The gear plot thickens. I wonder if I can take the chassis out and rig it with rack spacers to fit in my rack case...


I still need to get a buffer to boost my signal through my ever-growing pedal chain. I'll be picking one of those up from the good folks at Cmatmods. They make great and affordable boutique effects and this buffer will do a great job at reducing signal loss due to the poor buffers usually found in most commercial pedals as well as the amount of cable connecting everything. Plus, it's so tiny that it won't take up any valuable real estate on my board. I will also be needing a T Rex Fuel Tank Jr. for some clean power to run the pedals off of. This will take care of some low cycle hum and background noise generated by all of the pedals. Way down the line on the wish-list of gear domination will be an OEM point to point wired board from the sweet dude at Revolver Amps to replace the PCB in my Epiphone Valve Junior. I'd also like to get the power and output transformers swapped out with ones from Mercury Magnetics. Let's pile on top of that, a Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo and a BYOC OD2. With too many expensive hobbies, methinks this all will take some time. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment